So most of you know that daycare has been my most stressful part of this pregnancy to date. I've been on waitlists for centers since April (when I was only 5 weeks pregnant), and even when I checked up on where I stood in line last week, 4 out of the 5 centers I applied to had us listed with at least 50 or more people before us, and ONE center only had two people before us. So while there was hope for the last center, the director said she could not tell me for sure until at least late December or early January whether we had a spot or not. So not wanting to wait that long to find out and stress out while on maternity leave, I started looking for a backup plan in case we did NOT get accepted (which is very likely).
At first I started trying to find in-home centers near to us... only when I emailed all the neighborhood groups I'm a member of and asked everyone under the sun that I knew, NO ONE could tell me where to find them. Then I thought it would be easier to find someone in my neighborhood who would share the costs of a nanny with me. I sent out another email, and found a girl down my street who is due around the same time as I am, and she and I think we could work out the situation together. Once I started doing research about nanny-shares though, I realized there are a lot of hidden costs, including taxes and social security for the nanny, her vacation/sick time, making sure we provide food for her... and then extra supplies, like having to purchase a double stroller, extra highchair, etc. to accommodate two babies. It was adding up to more than we had hoped to spend, so I decided that I would try REALLY hard to make sure there really were no in-home opportunities around our house before I resorted to the nanny-share.
So for the past few weeks, I've been doing research online to find all the licensed in-home centers in DC, and then put them all on a Google Map:
DC In-Home Daycare Centers (Wards 1,2,5,6,7 only)That way, I could literally see where they were in relation to our house, and figure out which ones were in shady neighborhoods, etc. Turns out, there are only about 6 that are close to us, so I started just cold calling them, to see if they had availability. One told me she may be expanding soon, and might have room by February. One turned out to be located within a scary housing project (so I crossed her off the list), and then one had no availability for February right now, but put me on her waitlist. I put out another email asking if anyone had feedback about those six centers, and the one that I put my name on a waitlist for got GLOWING reviews... but I wasn't holding my breath because she said she had no availability.
I was starting to get really discouraged, but knew I still had the nanny-share as a backup plan. Joe asked one night what would happen if we magically got into a daycare spot early, would we have to pay to hold the spot. I said it wasn't even worth stressing about, since we were so far down on all the lists.
So of course, as soon as I say that, what happens?? The woman who runs the in-home near our house that got glowing reviews and we were waitlisted for has an opening. The catch? We have to take it by December 1st, meaning we'd have to pay for Dec/Jan to hold our spot, even though we don't need care until February. *sigh*
Soooo... I'm going tonight to see the house with my mom and interview her. From what I heard from her past clients and other moms in my neighborhood, she's fantastic, and the moms and kids all love her. I need to find out specifics like what happens when she's sick or takes vacations, etc... but outside of those logistical questions, it sounds like we'd be crazy NOT to take this spot. I explained our situation to her, and she said that she could give us a slight discount since we won't need it for two months, but it will still be in the area of $2000 total that we need to pay for those two months.
So big decision time tonight... if I pass on her opening, I still have the nanny share and *maybe* (albeit a BIG maybe) that we get into a center. Or I could just say yes, and then not have to stress AT ALL for the next two and a half months :) I asked some ladies in the area what they would do if they were presented with this scenario... and every one of them said "daycare is tough, if you have an opening, by all means go for it".
So barring any crazy circumstances, I think we most likely will take this spot. Wish me luck though, it's been an INSANE stress and I don't want to jump into something just because we're feeling rushed. BUT... the in-home is a bit cheaper than any of the centers we looked into, and it's close to our house, so both of those things are also swaying me toward just going for it.
In other news, my mom is in town until Wednesday, and she has really helped pull the nursery together. She pointed out (as did Joe's mom) that a new futon cover would really help change the decor... maybe something in green or blue to replace the weird brown/yellow square pattern that came with it (we got it for free from a neighbor). I resisted, since I couldn't see spending more money on a futon cover when we didn't really NEED it. But she dragged me out shopping anyway, and voila, we found a yellow cover that matches our throw blankets and the peter rabbit paintings, and really brightens up the room. We then travelled out to Bed Bath & Beyond and Target to look for matching throw pillows, and found some blue and green ones that also match perfectly. She helped hang the frames, and now we're in the middle of painting a few plaques to put the Peter Rabbit "wallies" on, since mounting those looked infinitely better than just applying them to the walls. It looks really great, and I'll post photos when we're finished. It looks like a real nursery, and I could definitely not have come up with all the ideas myself :) It's great to have creative people in your family! :)
So things are wrapping up, and we are as busy as ever. I have two last appointments this week to meet with potential pediatricians, and then this weekend I'm packing my hospital bag, and installing the carseats. After that, we'll be all set, and ready for this kid to get here! We're really in the home stretch now, and I can't believe I'm going to be a mom soon! :)
35 weeks 3 days